Sunday, June 26, 2005

Queens of the Stone Age,
Lullabies to Paralyze



I know I don't really keep up on reviewing albums as soon as they come out, but I also rarely post, so you should be happy with what you get. Also, I like buying things as opposed to downloading them, I enjoy owning cd's, for some reason.

I had low expectations for this album considering Songs for the Deaf pretty much blew my mind and still does: songs like No One Knows, First it Giveth, and The Sky is Falln' still blow mind after hearing well into double digits. Also, Lullabies is the first album sans Nick Oliveri, who really was the only 'real' member of Queens, and whose bass was behind all of their best songs. I felt without Oliveri's presence the album would inevitably suffer, and i think on some tracks this is true. There are a lot of songs on Lullabies that fail to reach any sort of apex or climax, a lot of songs begin slowly and build towards a chorus, but oftentimes the chorus is a huge let down, I Never Came is prime example of this. It seems to be an attempt to make a more relaxed, slower song, but instead it feels like a great song stripped of a great chorus riff and then turned down in volume, which leaves an endless building with no resolution. I Never Came is probably the worst of the albums unfortunately high count of throwaway tracks. There are one or two other tracks in this album that are either too long or not interesting.

The Queens still come through a numerous amount of short, loud kicks of songs that warrant several repeated listenings. Medication, Everybody know that you're insane, In My Head, and Little Sister are provide said nourishment. This what QOTSA excell at, a few kick ass chords and some wicked drums blended with Josh Homme's melodic nondescript lyrics. Of course, on Songs For The Deaf, this sound could never really be maintained past the 5 minute mark. One of the accomplishments of Lullabies then is the song The Blood is Love, which maintains the buzzing amps and big chords over 6 minutes while still being (relitively) interesting. The intro and exit tracks of the album fill the thing out nicely despite some fat that could have easily been cut.

I bought this album without thinking it would be anything too great, and thats also the attitude you have to have while listening to it. Some songs in this album will most likely end up in a retrospective down the road (including the epic 'Long Slow Goodbye') but the album itself is nothing spectacular. There is still a lot of promise for upcoming albums, considering that Homme's creative process has definitely not been hindered by the loss of Oliveri.

G.O.O / G.O.O.A.L

3 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

I always wonder what you would think of half the CD's I own and buy. Hmm...lol. Yeah that's all I got.

12:17 AM  
Blogger NGould said...

John Ganiard is a cool guy= just moron (w/ no oxy).

5:13 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

okay soo... you and all and Nate really need to update (haha no rhyme intended) your blogs so I know whats goin on in the Big IC (as Leda calls it)... so... GO!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home