Sunday, July 18, 2004

As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.
 

 
Some philosopher at some point had to write something about the infinite questions we can never answer about human existence, morality, ethics, etc.  I haven't read these works, and most likely wont until I need to for classes.  Much of what I know and intake on the afore said matters is what I read lightly and what I have discussions with my dad and brother on.  Really, I haven't the slightest clue where whatever moral and ethical choices I make come from, and I haven't any clue of my ever guiding conscience, and what its choices stem from.  Most would tell me my ethics could come from environment, upbringing, other such factors, but as I said I've never really read into any of these matters.
 
I get the New York Times on Sunday, and manage to read some of arts & entertainment and all of sports, but I always read New York Times the Magazine.  I didn't today, and mom pointed me to this article.  Amy Richards is a 34 year-old, unwed, and is a lecturer at colleges.  She found out she was going to have triplets, and because of her work schedule and current state in life, she decided to abort two of the children, who would have been identical, the one she kept was a stand alone, possibly three days older.  in her words:
 
'this is why they say it's the woman's choice, because you think I could just carry triplets. That's easy for you to say, but I'd have to give up my life.'' Not only would I have to be on bed rest at 20 weeks, I wouldn't be able to fly after 15. I was already at eight weeks. When I found out about the triplets, I felt like: It's not the back of a pickup at 16, but now I'm going to have to move to Staten Island. I'll never leave my house because I'll have to care for these children. I'll have to start shopping only at Costco and buying big jars of mayonnaise.
 
I read this, and much to my surprise felt physically sick.  I'm sorry, I am conservative, and only a dilettante at best.  But this went beyond whatever bullshit I rant about and have no logical opinion on.  something in my mind just shut off and I couldn't fully understand what I was reading, this women aborted two fetuses for convenience, and someday she will have to tell her 15 year-old son, "basically, I didn't want have to move to Staten island and care for two more babies and give up my life, so in turn I gave up theirs".  I am not a woman, I may not fully understand the women's right to choose, but I do understand before I do something what consequences I will face, and understand that most times in life there is no easy way out of things, that you have to play the hand your dealt.  We live in a culture where technology has provided us with an easy way out of things, advancements in medicine have made abortion a faster and more efficient thing, but we confuse notions about rights, wanting more supreme and clear cut availabilities people in other countries could only dream of.  If I have learned one thing living in America, it is that people are never satisfied, we desire larger portions: of food, of pity, of rights, of conveniences.  we desire such larger portions we have blurred the line between convenience and necessity. 
  
 On one end of the spectrum, a women struggles to bear a child because of a physically ailment, on the other side, certain people decide that it would be inconvenient to bear more than one child, and ends the problem with potassium chloride.  I am easily marred as a blind patriot, professing my faith in my country and turning my back on the issues, but I am equally sickened by my culture as I am any other culture I seem to think I am superior to.  sometimes I feel that maybe I'm not the only one that has blinders on to the outside world, which more  people would like to bring birth control to then  solutions.  when will come to the point where we are injecting serum into our children to weed out or bring in certain traits? When will it come the point where we live in a society we thought we destroyed in 1945? So many profess our rich country isn't helping its people, and I guess sometimes I  cruelly wish it wouldn't at all.





5 Comments:

Blogger JMJ said...

the unfortunate thing about abortion is that people are able to avoid responsibility and in some cases live more carefree lives. this woman is obviously insane, even the crazy and infamous Peter Singer (who some may consider a madman) would not agree to an abortion on these grounds. it's not *convenient*?! that is insane.

it may be cliche, but certainly having children changes your life as you know it - or at least that's what they say. you have to be willing to sacrifice everything for them. unfortunately this woman was not ready for that sort of life-changing commitment, so she decided to sacrifice them instead. her reasoning is the kind of thought process you should go through BEFORE you decide to get pregnant.

whether or not abortion is moral is one thing, but to murder two of your now only child's siblings because you don't want to have to change your life is pathetic. what will she do when conflicts arise with her now only son? will she tell him tough luck, go fuck yourself? maybe when her one son becomes too much of a burden she will decide to execute him so she can live a more luxurious life with her boyfriend.

this is just further proof that backs up my theory/belief that 99% of the world's population is made up of shockingly and depressingly ignorant, arrogant, and utterly moronic fools.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Byron said...

You overreact to everything.

9:45 PM  
Blogger JMJ said...

is it possible to overreact to having an abortion (or abortions) for reasons of convenience?

11:49 PM  
Blogger Byron said...

But of course.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

intresting...but just wanted to complement you on your profile picture,i think its a cool pic., kinda looks scary haha!!

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home