Sunday, February 22, 2004

All World Cowboy Romance

So, I haven't updated in awhile . But I have been listening to a lot of a band called Mission of Burma, who came out with two landmark punk albums in 1981 and 82, following the first 'death of punk', in a era where anything that resembled punk was called 'post punk'. Regardless, they're great albums. Some of the most memorable anthems are on these albums, such as "that's when I reach for my revolver", and "academy fight song" which was later covered by R.E.M. You would think if they were so great, that they would release more than just albums (actually, one album, since Signals Calls and Marches is considered an EP, I still don't know what that means, but in essence is a single or mini-album). The fact is that band leader Roger Miller developed a serious case of tinnitus, an ear infection related with deafness, in which a large ringing blocks out most hearing, his tinnitus was related to the bands explosively loud live element. Regardless, they left a huge mark on punk music, if not all music.




Academy Fight Song


Walk into my room
Ask me jerky questions
Don't mean what you say
Immaculate Conception

Play by the rules
So close to the chest
Show that alls not lost
This is not a test.

Stay just as far from me as me from you.
Make sure that you are sure of everything I do.
'Cause I'm not, not, not, not, not, not, not, not
Your academy

The halls are like piss
The rooms are underlit
Still it must be nice
Such a perfect fit

What's that I hear?
The sound of marching feet
It has a strange allure,
Has a strange allure

Stay just as far from me as me from you.
Make sure that you are sure of everything I do.
'Cause I'm not, not, not, not, not, not, not, not
Your academy

Your academy

Maybe you're right,
I shouldn't judge
What's wrong or right,
It's all too much

I'm not judging you,
I'm judging me.
My academy.
Your academy
My academy.
Your academy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home